Thursday, September 9, 2010

Couldn’t Sleep


I couldn’t sleep last night. For some reason, I felt a sense of oppression, a sense of dread. The weather was fine, no ominous thunder clouds to make me worry. Nothing on the news aside from various budget cuts the governor had proposed. Those would worry someone. Not me. What was wrong? Why couldn’t I sleep?

Maybe it was the fifteen crispy cream donuts I had consumed along with two tall glasses of milk less than half an hour before midnight. Maybe it was the coffee I had nursed since eight pm that night. Or maybe I was just worried about nothing.

I had to get out, I needed to DO something.

But it was almost midnight.

I felt a grin creeping across my usually stoic countenance. That had to be the coffee. I don’t smile.

In a few seconds I had pulled my Gonga costume out of the closet and transformed. Now I was ready to brave the night.

The air was cool, with a hint of fall tingling my cheeks through the eye holes in the mask. For once, I appreciated the extra fur Gonga’s costume provided. I turned the corner on the street and headed onto campus.

Gonga’s night vision kicked into high gear as he peered down the street between the engineering buildings. The lamps lit up all but a few dark patches. And those dark patches are what interested Gonga. He prowled past the north west entrance to engineering building east (EBE) and squinted his eyes into the darkness.

A white gleam of stairway caught his attention. Gonga gave a little grunt of curiosity and hurried towards the stairway. As he got closer, his plasticized face displayed no emotion, but his steps became quicker. There was no chain blocking this metal stairway, not even a “keep off” sign, or yellow caution tape!

He began climbing, stealthily placing one foot above another.

Then he froze.

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment